- Sachin participated in 3 min pitching competition for Ph.D. students with a theme: “Sell the project you are working on to get more funding” at the SmartBIO annual meeting held on October 4th, 2018. He presented “Carbon dioxide to fuel” and secured second place. Congratulations Sachin!(02/11/2018)
- Milla attended the 6th International Conference on Ionic Liquids for Electrochemical Devices held in Rome, Italy, from 9th to 11th September. She contributed to the conference with an oral presentation titled “Fabrication of conducting polymer-graphene oxide composites in ionic liquids for supercapacitor application.” She gratefully acknowledges the Fortum Foundation for the travel grant. Have a look at her selfies in Rome, one at the Colosseum and another in the conference hall. (20/09/2018)
- Rahul attended the conference “69th Annual ISE Meeting held in Bologna, Italy, from 2 to 7 September 2018”. He presented a poster titled, “In situ UV-VIS and FTIR studies of vapor phase polymerized PEDOT films.” (20/09/2018)
- Dr. Lokesh and M.Sc. Sachin attended the International Symposium on Electrocatalysis, Recent Advances in electrocatalysis and photoelectrocatalysis from 29th August to 1st 2018 in Szczyrk, Poland. Dr. Lokesh kesavan presented an oral presentation on “Electro-oxidation and sensing of Oxalic acid Catalyzed by Supported metal nanoparticles” and Sachin presented a poster on “Electrocatalytic reduction of CO2 using polymerized porphyrin(Zn and Ni) modified electrodes”. Lokesh and Sachin acknowledges Fortum Foundation and Palomaa-Erikoski foundation for travel grants repectively.(20/09/2018)
- New Raman imaging microscope reveals structural and compositional variations in materials.
Read more: in English / in Finnish(21/08/2018)
- Madhu has received a scholarship for undergraduate studies (M.Sc.) from the Fortum Foundation. Congrats, Madhu!
- Milla gave an oral presentation titled ‘Probing the electronic transport of polyazulene-graphene oxide composites in ionic liquids by in situ spectroelectrochemistry’ in the symposium W: Hybrid materials: state of the art and new frontiers at E-MRS Spring Meeting 2018 organized in Strasbourg, France, 18.-22.6.2018.(25/06/2018)
- Recently one new student, Jenny Malmi joined our group for an internship. MCRG welcomes a young talent. She is a student at the Turun Ammatti-instituutti. She will be graduated as a laboratory assistant in December 2018. After graduation, Jenny is interested in work and after that, she wants to go for higher studies. She is curious about chemistry and biology.
Welcome to the group, Jenny!(29/03/2018)
- MCRG welcomes a new master student Felix Osei Sarpong from Ghana. Felix has studied a bachelors degree in Materials Science and Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana. He has been studying his master’s degree at the University of Turku.
Welcome to the group, Felix!(28/03/2018)
- MCRG welcomes a new Ph.D. student Adefunke Koyejo from Nigeria. She obtained her bachelor’s degree in Industrial Chemistry from Osun State University, Nigeria. She completed her Master’s Degree in the International Masters Degree program for Research Chemists at the University of Eastern Finland.
Welcome to the group, Adefunke!(28/03/2018)
- MCRG welcomes our new postdoctoral researcher Dr. Lokesh Kesavan from India. He obtained his Master’s degree in Analytical Chemistry (2007) from University of Madras, India and graduated Ph.D. (2012) from Cardiff University, United Kingdom, in the field of heterogeneous catalysis.
Welcome to the group, Lokesh!(04/01/2018)
- 3 new bachelor students joined our group recently for their short time project work. MCRG welcomes young talents.
- Our group visited Prof. Minna Hakkarainen’s group at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm. The group thanks, Prof. Minna Hakkarainen for invitation and hospitality. It was a very educational visit. Both the groups presented their ongoing research and interests. It was a very nice and encouraging experience for newly entered group members. After lunch, the visit to Nobel museum was very inspiring. We spent some time around the old town in the evening. Overall, it was full of fun, joy as well as very educational.(08/11/2017)
- Milla went as a PhD exchange to conduct some part of her research at the University of Warsaw, Poland. She will be working in the group led by Professor Barbara Palys at the Department of Chemistry. Congratulations and all the best Milla!
- Rahul received one-year grant from The Jenny and Antti Wihuri Foundation for doctoral study. Congrats Rahul!
- Nianxing presented his research titled “Viologen Based Redox Composite Films: Electrochemical Synthesis and Characterization” at the “68th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Electrochemistry” held in Providence, USA.
- Rahul presented a poster titled “Vapor phase polymerized highly conducting PEDOT films as electrode and high capacitance material” at the “14th European Conference on Molecular Electronics” held in Dresden, Germany.
- Rahul attended the “4th International Summer School Spectroelectrochemistry” at the Center of Spectroelectrochemistry, Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research (IFW Dresden), in Dresden, Germany
- Milla presented her research titled “Electroactive Composite Materials for Supercapacitors” at “7th International Symposium on Energy” held in Manchester.
- Rahul received one-year grant from the Fortum Foundation for doctoral study. Congrats Rahul!
- Bhushan won the best Ph.D. thesis prize from Pentti Kosonen’s fund awards. Congrats Bhushan!
Pentti Kosonen’s fund awards incentive grants for high-level chemistry subject dissertations and graduate theses with a grade of at least magna cum laude abrobatur. The scholarships are primarily distributed in the field of inorganic and analytical chemistry (material science).
- Rahul received one year grant from The Foundation of Real Estates. Congrats Rahul!
- MCRG, IMCG and DTG members Christmas celebrations:
- PhD dissertation of MSc Nianxing Wang on 14th Oct. Thesis
- Nianxing has been granted a Fortum Foundation Scholarship by The Board of Directors of Fortum Foundation. Congrats Nianxing!
- Rahul has been granted a Fortum Foundation Scholarship by The Board of Directors of Fortum Foundation. Congrats Rahul!
- Bhushan wins Chemical Spring Innovation Competition. Congrats Bhushan! It is published on the intranet, here is the link: https://intranet.utu.fi/fi/ajankohtaista/uutiset/Sivut/kampusen-kasvot-kemian-kevaan-voittaja-bhushan-gadgil.aspx
- Milla has been awarded the Best Poster Prize presented in Symposium 08 at the 67th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Electrochemistry in The Hague, The Netherlands. Congrats Milla!
- PhD dissertation of MSc Bhushan Gadgil on 20th May. Thesis
- MCRG welcomes our new PhD student Rahul Yewale from Pune, India. Welcome to the group Rahul!
- Ajit got 10 months postdoctoral grant from Finnish Cultural Foundation (Varsinais-Suomi Regional Fund). Congrats Ajit!
- Milla received Finnish Chemical Society Young Researcher Award for her master’s thesis. More details here link .Congrats Milla!
- Recent work on supercapacitors is published in Luonnontieteilijä magazine, 6/2015 p. 22, in Finnish: “Sähköautojen ongelma ratkaistaan superkondensaattoreilla”. Congrats to Pia and Milla for promoting MCRG research activities in media.(pc: Hannu Aaltonen)
- After the lab cleaning, MCRG members went for dinner at Pub Niska. Everyone enjoyed Finnish Style Pizza!
- PhD student Bhushan Gadgil received Best Poster Award at the sixth international conference on Carbon for Energy Storage/Conversion and Environment Protection held in Poznan Poland.http://www.cesep2015.put.poznan.pl/. CESEP_2015_Best poster award_Bhushan Gadgil.
- PhD student Milla Suominen received 3 years funded doctoral position from Doctoral Programme in Physical and Chemical Sciences (PCS) for the University of Turku Graduate School (UTUGS). Congratulations Milla! Keep it up!
- Dr. Ajit Kalekar, from University of Pune joined our group as a postdoctoral researcher. He will be working on the Pd nanoparticles-reduced graphene oxide composites for catalytic applications, in collaboration with Åbo Akademi University. Welcome Ajit!